Contact Me:

barnett.adam1989@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/abarnett1

Friday, August 20, 2010

The Past 8 Days

Starting Thursday of last week (August 12th, 2010) Whitestone Motion Pictures began shooting their biggest, most important film ever, "The Candyshop". Here is a description of the film from Whitestone's website:

The film is a Fairytale/Parable about the child sex trafficking epidemic that has overrun our city of Atlanta. We are using the film to raise awareness about this issue taking place in our own back yard. Up to 500 underaged girls a month are trafficked for sex here in our city of Atlanta. It’s the number one city in the country for child sex trafficking..
The 10th in the world. This plague has gone on for too long, and now we at Whitestone, in cooperation with Doorpost, 12Stone® Church and StreetGrace want to put a stop to it. This film represents the spearhead of a citywide and possibly a nationwide campaign.
It is not a documentary. It is not a PSA. It is the beginning of a movement.

A few weeks ago I learned that Brandon McCormick had specifically requested for me to be a P.A. (Production Assistant) on this shoot. I was ecstatic. I cancelled work for the two weeks of the shoot and cleared out everything on my schedule. Last Thursday, my journey into the realm of filmmaking began. I arrived at 6:30 AM in Burford, Georgia that day. I'd gotten up at 4:00 in order to make the drive and get there on time. I ate blueberries and cheerios for breakfast. Then it was time to begin work for the day. We set up basecamp outside of Whitestone Manor which contained the interior set for the candyshop itself. Then I helped finish building the interior of the basement of the candyshop. That took a day (as in 7:00 AM to 7:00 AM the next day). Friday, shooting began @ 12PM. As a P.A. I spent most of my time waiting. When I wasn't doing that I was running back and forth to Wal Mart getting drinks and ice and such. I made sure that when "Quiet on the set was called" all fans and A/C were off and just did whatever I was told in general. Saturday was the same. Sunday I got commissioned to be a runner/extra hand for the guys working on building the exterior set of the candyshop @ Murray's Mill, an artists commune in Atlanta. That was way more fun, hard, and rewarding, as I spent most of my time cutting, measuring, screwing in, nailing, painting, shimming, digging, cleaning, and everything else construction related. Sunday and Monday it was just me and five other guys. We managed to build the frame and supports for the exterior set and build a fake sidewalk by ourselves in two days. Sounds easy and not like too much work but trust me, it wasn't easy, and it was a lot of work. Tuesday I came home and took a day to rest. Wednesday I cam back for more set construction. Thursday was the same. We finished at around 7:30 PM that day. You can see pictures of all of this by following @whitestonemp on twitter. Friday (today) I'm at home due to having to pay a speeding ticket. Tomorrow I head back up to Atlanta again and I'll be there until Sunday at least. Possibly Monday. I'll give you more updates later on. This has been an amazing experience so far and will continue to be. I LOVE FILMMAKING!

No comments:

Post a Comment